Skip to main content

Outdoor Ed: Reflection on the year

1.  The best thing I remember from this year is doing the interpretation with the younger kids. I enjoyed learning the material and delivering it to the younger kids. I liked talking and teaching them things I learned.

2.  The most challenging part of outdoor ed this years was doing all of the paper work. I found that all of the work sheets was a little challenging. I also found canoeing for a long period of time was challenging. The long canoe ride really tested my patience.

3.   The most interesting part of outdoor ed was building quinsies. I had never heard of quinsies before I entered outdoor ed. Even though I didn’t get to see the final part it was stilll interesting.

4.   I would have liked more group work. It’s more productive and fun to work with other people then it is to work alone. I find working with groups easier and the opinions of other people are usually very valueable.

5.  I learned a lot and gained a lot of skills which may help me in the future.
       - tying different types of knots will help me in fishing and survival situations.
       - interpretation skills will help me teach kids and give better presentations
       - leadership skills will help me better lead my group

6.  I think going outside more will make the outdoor ed class better.
 
7.  It depends on the trip and what we are doing. If we were going to go canoeing and camping I  would pay but if we were going to somewhere for a presentation or interpretation, i probably would not pay.

8. I do not think that there is a blanance between going outside and outdoor theories. This year we spent more time doing inclass stuff then we did outside. We should have spent more time outside.

9. If i could change anything, I would go outside more.

10. Yes, It would help the kids that weren’t in outdoor ed learn about the material we did last year.

Final thoughts.

I enjoyed outdoor ed and would recommend it to everyone in grade 9 and 10.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Most Important thing about wetlands in my opinion

           In my personal opinion I think that carbon mitigation. Reducing carbon reduces pollution. Pollution is one of the biggest problems facing our planet today. Wetlands help balance the amount of carbon in our air, too much carbon is bad and too little carbon is also bad. But wetlands help keep a balance so that there is just enough carbon in the atmosphere.

What is interpretation?

By definition interpretation is  the action of explaining the meaning of something. But interpretation is much more than just explaining the meaning, interpretation is the revelation of meanings and relationships using many different types of objects, illustrative media, and by firsthand experience.  Freeman Tildien- was an American writer who wrote a book on the 6 principals of interpretation. He traveled for many years observing the ways of interpretation in national parks.  Freeman Tilden (1957) 

Fundamentals of interpretation

When I go to the wetlands I will interprete what I’m tanking about. I will start with relating something to the audience like, Talking friendly, smiling, saying hi, making small talk, and making eye contact Then I will reveal some information by, Building up the topic, and by asking questions to see if they know what the topic is about. I will then combine many forms of arts like: Telling a story, telling some jokes, acting something out, and using a picture to tell a story. I will try to provoke interest by, Playing a game, asking information, and showing a poster. Be a part of the greater whole, Try to connect the little things to a bigger picture, like how a wetlands can have a big impact on climate change. The wetlands is the little thing and climate change is the bigger picture.